Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) GreenCard

Getting Your Green Card Under the Violence Against Women Act

If you are a victim of domestic violence, it may be possible for you to obtain your legal permanent residency based on VAWA, a law passed by the U.S. Congress in 1994. If you have been a victim of abuse (including emotional, physical, verbal, mental) and you are married to (or recently divorced from) a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident, you can self-petition (without the help or knowledge of your abusive spouse) to obtain Lawful Permanent Residence.

This law is not only limited to women who have suffered domestic violence. We have been successful in filing VAWA applications for men who have suffered abuses and battery at the hands of their U.S. citizen/LPR wives.

We recommend that you view the Domestic Abuse Intervention Project’s Power and Control Wheel if you feel you may be in an abusive relationship.

Contact the Law Office of Betty Huang P.C.

Domestic violence is a difficult and sensitive topic. The attorneys at the Law Office of Betty Huang P.C. care about their clients and are dedicated to not only getting their clients legal status, but also taking the time to understand their unique situations. If you have further questions or concerns regarding obtaining legal permanent residence and have been a victim of domestic abuse, contact an experienced New York VAWA Attorney at (646) 768-4190 or email us at to schedule a consultation.