O-1 Visa – Individuals With Extraordinary Ability Or Achievement
The O-1 non-immigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.
We have helped a diverse array of talented clients apply for their O visas including:
- Classical Music Composers
- Installation Artists
- Visual Effects Artists
- Graphic Designers
- Fashion Designers
- Film Editors
- Design Critics
There are different categories of O visas with different criteria which must be met to be successful in the application. They are:
O-1A visas are available for individuals who possess an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics.
To qualify for an O-1A visa the applicant must provide evidence that the beneficiary has received a major, internationally-recognized award, such as a Nobel Prize, or evidence of at least (3) three of the following:
- Receipt of nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence in the field of endeavor
- Membership in associations in the field for which classification is sought which require outstanding achievements, as judged by recognized national or international experts in the field
- Published material in professional or major trade publications, newspapers or other major media about the beneficiary and the beneficiary’s work in the field for which classification is sought
- Original scientific, scholarly, or business-related contributions of major significance in the field
- Authorship of scholarly articles in professional journals or other major media in the field for which classification is sought
- A high salary or other remuneration for services as evidenced by contracts or other reliable evidence
- Participation on a panel, or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or in a field of specialization allied to that field for which classification is sought
- Employment in a critical or essential capacity for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation
O-1B visas are available for individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television industry.
To qualify for an O-1B visa the applicant must provide evidence that the beneficiary has received, or been nominated for, significant national or international awards or prizes in the particular field, such as an Academy Award, Emmy, Grammy or Director’s Guild Award, or evidence of at least (3) three of the following:
- Performed and will perform services as a lead or starring participant in productions or events which have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by critical reviews, advertisements, publicity releases, publications, contracts or endorsements
- Achieved national or international recognition for achievements, as shown by critical reviews or other published materials by or about the beneficiary in major newspapers, trade journals, magazines, or other publications
- Performed and will perform in a lead, starring, or critical role for organizations and establishments that have a distinguished reputation as evidenced by articles in newspapers, trade journals, publications, or testimonials.
- A record of major commercial or critically acclaimed successes, as shown by such indicators as title, rating or standing in the field, box office receipts, motion picture or television ratings and other occupational achievements reported in trade journals, major newspapers or other publications
- Received significant recognition for achievements from organizations, critics, government agencies or other recognized experts in the field in which the beneficiary is engaged, with the testimonials clearly indicating the author’s authority, expertise and knowledge of the beneficiary’s achievements
- A high salary or other substantial remuneration for services in relation to others in the field, as shown by contracts or other reliable evidence
O-2 visas are available to individuals who will accompany an O-1, artist or athlete, to assist in a specific event or performance. The O-2 worker must have critical skills and prove experience with the O-1 that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker and which are essential to the successful performance of the O-1.
- For an O-1A, the O-2’s assistance must be an “integral part” of the O-1A’s activity.
- For an O-1B, the O-2’s assistance must be “essential” to the completion of the O-1B’s production.
O-3 visas are available to individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1 and O-2 visa holders.
If you believe you may qualify for an O Visa please call (646) 768-4190 or email us at email@example.com to schedule a consultation.