Non Immigrant Visas

If you seek to to gain entry to the United States as a non-immigrant, Law Office of Betty Huang P.C. Immigration Attorneys can help you.

Non-immigrant visas are designed for those who wish to enter the United States for a specific period of time, without the intention of relocating to the U.S. permanently. These visas are applicable to students, business travelers, tourists, or specialty worker visas who come strictly for a short term purpose .

Anyone who enters the United States for the above purposes is classified as a “non-immigrant”, and receives a visa which allows them to stay/travel in the country for a specified period of time.
Here is a list of the most popular non-immigrant visas and the individuals that they may be relevant to:

B-1 Visas

  • Athletes, amateur & profession (compete for prize money only)
  • Business visitors
  • Domestic employees or nannies, who are accompanying a foreign national employer

B-2 Visas

Visitors for medical treatment


E Visas

E-1 Visas- Treaty Trader

  • For a national of a country, with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce, who is coming to the U.S. to carry on substantial trade (ex: trade in services or technology), principally between the U.S. and the treaty country

E-2 Visas- Treaty Investor

For a national of a country, with which the U.S. maintains a treaty of commerce,

  • to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the national has invested, (i.e. principal investor, supervisor, executive, or employee with highly specialized skill)
  • is in the process of investing a substantial amount of capital, under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

E-3 Visas

  • For a list of participating countries, click here.

F-1 Student Visas

  • For those who want to come the United States to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute

H Visas

H-1B Visas – Persons in Specialty Occupation

  • Those with theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge requiring completion of a specific course of higher education
  • Fashion Models
  • Government-to-government researchers

H-2A Visas– Seasonal Agricultural Workers

H-2B Visas– Temporary or Seasonal Nonagricultural Workers

H-3 Visas– Trainees (other than medical or academic)

  • For those who need training in the United States for any field of endeavor. Examples include fields within agriculture, commerce, communications, finance, government, transportation, the professions, as well as purely industrial areas.

H-4 Visas– Dependent family members of H-1 visa holders

I Visas

  • Foreign media representatives, including members of the press, radio, film or print industries (ex: reporters, films crews, editors)

J-1 Visas  Exchange visitor visa

  • For those who will be participating in an educational and cultural exchange visitor program in the U.S.
  • See which exchange visitor program you would like to participate in here.

L Visas – Intracompany Transferees

  • For those who have within the three (3) preceding years been employed outside the U.S. continuously for one (1) year, and who will be employed by a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary of that same employer in the U.S. in a managerial, executive, or specialized knowledge capacity.

M-1 Student Visas

  • For those who want to come to the U.S. to engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at a non-academic institutions

O Visas

O-1A Visas

  • Individuals who possess an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics

O-1B Visas

  • Individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television industry

O-2 Visas

  • Individuals who will accompany an O-1, artist or athlete, to assist in a specific event or performance. The O-2 worker has critical skills and experience with the O-1 that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker and which are essential to the successful performance of the O-1
  • For an O-1A, the O-2’s assistance must be an “integral part” of the O-1A’s activity.
  • For an O-1B, the O-2’s assistance must be “essential” to the completion of the O-1B’s production.

O-3 Visas

  • Individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1 and O-2 visa holders.

P Visas

P-1 Visas

  • Individual or Team Athletes, or Members of an Entertainment Group that are internationally recognized.

P-2 Visas

  • Artists or Entertainers who will perform under a reciprocal exchange program

P-3 Visas

  • Artists or Entertainers who perform under a program that is culturally unique

Q Visas

  • Participants in an International Cultural Exchange Program for the purpose of providing practical training, employment, and the sharing of the history, culture, and traditions of the individual’s home country.

T Visas

Victims of Severe Forms of Human Trafficking can obtain temporary non-immigrant status, including the ability to legally work in the United States, as long as they help law enforcement officials investigate and prosecute crimes related to human trafficking.

  • However, if the victim is under 18 years of age, the law does not require cooperation with police to obtain a T-visa
  • In addition, T-visa status may also be available for immediate family members of a T-visa applicant (i.e. spouses, children, and parents of applicants under 18).

U Visas

Victims of Criminal Activity can obtain can obtain temporary non-immigrant status, including the ability to legally work in the United States, as long as they meet the following requirements:

  • (i) they have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse from criminal activity; (2) have information regarding the criminal activity; (3) assist government officials in the investigation or prosecution of such criminal activity; and (4) the criminal activity violated U.S. law or occurred in the United States or its territories and possession of the United States.
  • This visa can be filed for those individuals who are domestic violence victims (the abuser does not have to be a U.S. citizen or a legal permanent resident and the victim does not have to be married to the abuser.)

Contact an Immigration Attorney in New York

If you plan to enter the United States through any of these non-immigrant visas, it is important to consult with a New York Immigration Attorney. Not only can Law Office of Betty Huang P.C. ensure that all of your paperwork is properly filed, our representation and advice may help expedite the visa application process. Call us at (646) 768-4190 or email us at to schedule a consultation.